One of Sydney’s orginal Pet shops, that came from humble beginnings as a Bird Specialist almost 40 years ago to now adapting into Australia’s leading Small Animal Specialist retailer, boarding facility and adoption centre.
Birdsville/Petsville customers come from far and near for our vast variety of products, outstanding customer service, exstensive knowlegde and hands on experience. We strive to give the best advice and service second to none!
We have exciting career opportunities for people with the right stuff, and who not only love pets, but the people who love their pets.
We hire through our volunteer programs, our Road to Success program (existing team members moving up through the business) and CV’s we have had handed in and placed on file.
We are looking for people who want to further their career in sales, retail, customer service or animal industries, who are determined to work with a team to achieve results and move up the ranks, expanding skill and knowledge in all our fields.
We’re looking for motivated and talented people who enjoy what they do and thrive in a sales environment. If you share our love for the pet parents we serve, the merchandise we sell and the work we do, then this is a place for you to build a rewarding career.
Our team come from a collection of animal experts with different backgrounds including zoos, vets, animal welfare, other pet shops, business and retail. We also have a great group of budding young juniors that are alway expanding. We love working with people who are good at solving problems, who are efficient and can work within time restraints.
If this sounds like you and you are interested in joining our team, please email or pop in store with your CV and cover letter, please don’t forget to tell us why you want to work with our team.
Below is a list of what we are looking for in successful candidate and duties you may be required to preform.
Successful candidates will tick many of these boxes.
- Real customer service focus with an ability to WOW our customer
- Highly motivated and proactive
- High integrity
- The ability to communicate to all levels with ease
- Composure under stress and pressure
- Adetermination to succeed
- An eye for detail
- A hands on approach
- Not a princess, willing to muck in and get the job done.
- At least 2 years experience working with a high volume, disciplined retailer (preferred not essential)
- Strong merchandising skills
- Commitment to the care of pets
- An interest in animals, their care and willingness to improve animal welfare
- Work well in a team environment
- Have an interest in the products we stock, knowlegde of how they work and how to use
- Knowledge of reptiles, husbandry, products and enclosures
- Knowledge of fish, aquatic care and water testing
- Knowledge of birds, husbandry, product and care
- Knowledge of cats, care and products
- Knowledge of dogs, care and products
- Knowledge of small mammal, such as rats, mice, rabbits and guinea pigs, husbandry, products and care
- You must be reliable and determined to meet our high standards
- Willing to be flexible regarding working days, hours and be able to work least one day on weekends.
*As part of your responsibilities, you may be required to lift heavy items (e.g., bags of seed, grain, shell grit and dogfood).
Main duties performed
- Maintaining, cleaning, enclsoures and behavioural enrichment for all animals
- Acting as the first point of contact for the shop’s existing and new customers
- Till operation, serving customers and directing them around the shop
- Handling customer queries and complaints on a day to day basis.
- Recording and maintaining customer records and sales inquiries
- Keeping calm and professional when dealing with difficult customers
- Giving expert advice on product selection to customers and thinking outside the box
- Arranging window and shop displays (and special promotions)
- General cleaning and maintenance of the shop.
- Ensuring all animals are health checked every morning and afternoon
- Ensuring all animal feeding routines are done correctly
- Maintaining aquariums and aquatic care