School Work experience
Birdsville offers school work experience opportunities for students in years 9 to 12 who are interested in pursuing a career in zoo keeping, animal care, animal welfare, other animal industry, veterinarian, vet nurse, boarding facilities, retail industry, sales, customer service and with us.
If you are interested in applying, speak to your school careers adviser who will liaise with Birdsville on your behalf.
Work experience allows students to:
- Have unquie opportunity to work with animal in an retail environment.
- Observe a variety of work being done in the fields of animal keeping, animal care, animal welfare, customer service, retail and sales.
- Undertake supervised work appropriate to the student’s skill level
- Ask questions about animals and careers
- Gain skills related to working with animals, customer service and retail
- Investigate training and employment opportunities with Birdsville
Students will be exposed to a wide range of duties from the very interesting to the very routine, and may include:
- Cleaning (anything from windows, dust, products to animal poo!)
- Preparing and distributing food for the animals
- Observing and recording animal behavioural information
- Assisting with sales
- General administrative duties
- Stock control
- Animal handling